11.07.2008

Adoption Awareness Month

November is adoption awareness month. Sometimes November flies by before I'm even reminded about the significance of the month. Since we are currently in the process of waiting for our third, I find myself thinking about it constantly and reflecting on how and when we got our boys.

When we received news that Zack was joining our family, it was 3 weeks before his birth. 3 WEEKS! A different family had previously been chosen but things fell through with them and many obstacles were overcome in a short period of time that led Zack's birthmom to our family. It really was a miracle.

His placement was unbelievable. It was the most intense feeling of love I've ever felt. Taking him to San Diego this past spring break and showing Zack where he came from was so much fun!

We only waited a year before starting the paperwork for our next little tyke. Unlike Zack we had about 3 months warning with Bryce. Sometimes it's a blessing when it comes to planning but it was also difficult to think about it for 3 months just hoping everything worked out.

Bryce's placement was much more emotional for the birthmom and for us but was an amazing experience. Our family felt complete...for quite a few years anyway...

Until this past year when both Robb and I separately had some pretty amazing experiences that led us back to this place...a place of hope and patience and trust and faith and sometimes disappointment. Despite the wait and the trepidation we can't deny this is the place we're supposed to be in. Adoption has blessed our lives in a very strong way and has helped us open our hearts and home to different races, different personalities, different joys, and different challenges. I am so looking forward to the child Heavenly Father puts in our family next.

During this month, remember all of those who have adopted or who are adopting. There are adopted kids everywhere, especially here in Colorado it seems, but many people are uneducated. Open up a dialogue with adoptive families. I love when people ask me about our experiences! Teach your kids about it. It may be a part of their lives someday. I never imagined myself going through this process but am so grateful to be here!

9 comments:

Erica said...

I just loved reading that. The picture of Zack kissing Bryce couldn't be more precious. I have felt so many emotions listening to your story and many others. I pray the Lord blesses you and your family with another special spirit soon.

Alli said...

I'm so grateful that we've been a part of this amazing journey with you guys! It's been so cool to see you get your boys and to get to love them as well! (You do know that I'm praying for a girl for you :)

The Haley Family said...

You and Robb are so amazing! Zack and Bryce are amazing! You are going to be blessed through adoption again and I am so excited for whatever your future holds!

You are such a great mommy and you inspire me!

Lori Davis said...

I loved seeing the pictures of Zack and Bryce, including the one with Santa too. What cuties!! I have loved being a part of this!

I hope you have not fainted that I am not only looking at your blog, but leaving a comment!

KrisJ said...

Awww that was so dang sweet! Adoption ROCKS! I like Erica hope you are blessed with a new sweet little person in your home soon!

Christy said...

I remember when you got your boys and look at them now. I can't believe how big they are. It's been too long. We'll have to keep in better touch. Miss you guys.

Tirsa said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing. Adoption is AWESOME!

The Teeples said...

Kris,
You are such a inspiration to all. Especially, those of us who are still trying to figure out what the Lord's Plan is for us. Thanks for always being so open and honest about your feelings. We appreciate it.

Love ya,

Anonymous said...

Seriously, could those pictures are to die for!! I swear it was yesturday. You definetely have been in our prayer lately. We love you and are still a little ticked you moved to COLORADO!! :( JK
In case you did not figure this out, its me JENNIE. I know I just need to open an ID.