12.08.2008

Puerto Rico Days 1 & 2

Be forewarned, this will be in travelogue style so I can remember what we did and for other family members to read...

We flew to Puerto Rico via Atlanta. Our flight was quick and the boys were good. The highlight of Atlanta was we saw Dr. 90210 in the airport. He looked more flamin' than ever and had a whole big group of E! junkies surrounding him (I know you're jealous Erica).

We made it to San Juan about 9:30pm and scooted off to the rental which is humongous. There are 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms which ends up being just about right for all 28 of us. We have our own pool in the back, although it is quite small, and the kids were ripping open the luggage in search of swim wear to join there cousins in the pool. We finally got them out of the pool around 1:30 am to get them in bed...c'mon we're on vacation.

Sunday, we didn't really get up till about 10am (they are 3 hours ahead of Denver here). We shuffled off to the beach after breakfast and stayed there till about 3pm. It's winter here so not a ton of tourists but it's still in the 80's and quite delightful. My boys don't really dig getting in the ocean (maybe a little too much shark week?) but they love playing in the sand and playing chicken with the waves so I don't have to worry about them drowning and I can truly relax. There were so many kite surfers taking off and landing at Ocean Beach where we were and I want to try it! We headed back for some food and to relax the rest of the day by the pool.

Today we loaded up the 15 passenger mission van that Kay kidnapped and 2 more mini vans and headed up to the Yunque rainforest. We stopped at a couple of different places in the rainforest. Our first stop was a beautiful waterfall. Our second stop was a tower constructed back in teh 60's that lets you see all the way out to the ocean. The third and final stop was a hike down through the rain forest that is about 2 miles round trip. The 1/2 way point was another waterfall where most the cousins got in and swam around even though it was freezing. The weather was cool, it didn't rain, and it was so beautiful. We headed back to the house and hit the beach for another hour or so and then ate and had Family Home Evening. Every family shared a favorite scripture and then Robb and some of his siblings started thanking their parents for the strength they are to all of us and it was very emotional and sweet. Now we're winding down and Robb has to get up super duper early tomorrow to go about an hour east for scuba diving. More to come...

6 comments:

The Legg Fam said...

It sounds like so much fun. My family and I went when I was 13 or 14, so yes it has been a long time, but I still remember and have pictures. You guys will LOVE it!!

Alli said...

Seriously - we're wanting Kay and Cheryl to adopt us!!! I'm glad you guys are having fun!

alison said...

sounds like some serious fun!! but poor you you're missing all the snow!! Ha! as if!

The Toy Guru said...

Okay, So which Dr. 90210 was it???? Dr. Rey??? I can't recall the flaming one.

Kris said...

Yea, the fake hetero one with the blonde bombshell wife.

The Haley Family said...

Totally jealous...I can't seem to get my rear out of Sidney and you have been on to MAJOR vacations! What's up with that! I need to be your sister)-n-law! Will you and Lori adopt me?

Can't wait to see pictures!