Well, our quick weekend down to Colorado Springs is complete and phew!
We arrived at our campground mid-day on Friday and set up camp. Just as we got it all set up, the downpour of all downpours commenced. We hid under the screen house for as long as we could until we were getting drenched and the lightning started freaking us (me) out. So we ran and jumped in our cars. With the ground and our stuff all soaked and our dutch oven dinner plans foiled, we headed into town to pick up our race packets and do some carbo loading at a local italian joint. When we got back to camp, things had dried out somewhat and we roasted a few marshmallows before hitting the hay.
Erica and I got up early for our 10k and Robb zipped us up to the start line. I was joking on the way that I might possibly come in last. The only other 10k I've run was the Bolder Boulder and there are all shapes and sizes and tons of waves behind me so there was no way to be last. This was a much smaller race and your running abilities are much more visible...ha ha. We went to pick up our ankle timing chips and by then I was really thinking I was LITERALLY going to come in last. Everyone was fit and obviously runners (well, almost everyone). Oh well, I just wanted to beat my previous time. It was a great trail and I felt pretty good most of the time. I made it 4.5 before I had to walk and I eventually beat my best time by 3 minutes so I was happy. Erica kicked my trash and beat her time by like 13 minutes or something. You go girl!
So then we headed back to the campground, cleaned up a bit, and headed up to Garden of the Gods and played and hiked around the rest of the day. Bryce could stay there ALL DAY LONG. He loved the rocks and was not afraid of anything. Zack wasn't quite so adventurous (we chose to not inform him of the rattlesnake warning on one trail) but had a great time and hardly complained. After getting home and eating and getting the kids to bed...we played games and it was awesome!
Sunday, we cleaned up camp and headed up to North Cheyenne Canyon Park. We went up and saw Helen Hunt Falls which was really pretty. We had some other ideas of things to do but we were EXHAUSTED. Bryce was begging to go up to "the rocks" again. I swear, he is gonna be a mountain climber. However, we did make a stop at the Air Force Academy before heading home to see the planes and I wanted to see their famous Cadet Chapel. I love that it was so close and we didn't have to drive far.
If you want to see pictures, you can check them out here.
5 comments:
great job on the race!!! You would have totally kicked my butt!! Great pictures of your trip...it totally GUSHED from the skies Friday night here too!
great photos--looks like you all had lots of fun! good job on the race--rest assured that I WOULD HAVE BEEN LAST!!
Congrats Kris! I knew you could do it. :)
So much fun!! Good job! I am so impressed with you ladies you rock!
It was so much fun- thanks for being such wonderful friends and people we like to be around!!
Post a Comment