1.02.2010

Dominican - Day 1&2

As usual on our vacays, this will be a little bit of a travelogue so I can remember everything we did so read as in depth as you please...I can't post pics till I get home (and there are some good ones!) but here's what we've been up to.

The flights here only ended up being 8 hours so we got here pretty quickly. Kids were amazing again for which I'm quite thankful. Only one small issue with the SUPER snotty flight attendants on American Airlines (probably the first and last time I'll fly that airline) and I'll just say they'll probably have to replace a seat and it wasn't our fault...ha ha. Oh, and Miami is a gross airport. If you have any germ issues whatsoever or dislike crowded places...avoid like the plague. Plus, they had no Panda Express which is a huge downer for Robb.

We got in to Santo Domingo about 8pm. Kay and Cheryl (Robb's parents) and Lori (Robb's sister) and her fam were all there to greet us. I love coming out of that airport with the barriers lined with people and feeling like a rock star! It was definitely toasty since we were still in our long sleeved shirts and long pants. We were so excited to get to Kay and Cheryl's apartment and unload and relax. We gamed (Monopoly Deal, a fun card game and Phase 10, which I hate and don't know why I keep agreeing to play it...) and went to bed.

This morning, we were still a little off on our time so we got up at almost lunch time (oops!) but so glad we're not on a strict schedule. That's how I like my vacays. We had a yummy breakfast and then went down to downtown Santo Domingo. We went to Catedral Santo Domingo, one of the oldest churches in the New World. It was amazing! Columbus was buried there for a time till his remains were moved out to the lighthouse. We also went through a few other museums and Palacio de Diego Colon, the palace of Diego Columbus (Christopher Columbus' son). It was toasty but we had a great time checking out some of the more historical places.

We headed back, had some lunch and hit the pool at Kay & Cheryl's apartment building for the rest of the day. Sooooooo...relaxing. Temple on one side, MTC on the other and us in the pool with the ocean in the distance. So worth my exorbitant plane tickets!

New experiences for the day...trying Dominican ice cream off the street and washing lettuce, avocados, and bananas in Clorox. Glad I don't have to do that every day!

2 comments:

KrisJ said...

Cant wait for the pics!!

Lori Davis said...

I love your travel log... I seriously might copy and paste on some of it!! :)