So the other day, Bryce and Evan went down in the window well to catch frogs...(I could never say that sentence about Zack...ha ha) and Bryce came in screaming saying he found a lizard and was going to catch it! So I gave him a little tupperware and he came in with this creepy thing! I mean isn't it just yucky to look at? Anyway, they played with him for hours and Bryce named him Popeye.

Then one of my violin students, Isaac, the smarty pants that he is came over and gave us some very valuable information.
A. It's a salamander, not a lizard
B. Any salamanders that you catch in the wild will die.
C. Salamanders eat live grasshoppers and blood worms (gross!)
So I told Bryce this information and he agreed that he didn't want Popeye to die so his compromise was to play with him but put him back in the window well every night. We'll see how long this lasts before Popeye is manhandled too much. Ooooo gross...
2 comments:
Isaac told me about his conversation with you and I asked if he told you why, he said NO! So, here's the rest of the story...Last summer we found those SAME tiger salamanders (we did some research) in our window wells. He caught three of them. He was so excited and I promptly went out to Pet Smart and bought a terrarium with all the accessories. Three days later they were all stumbling around like they were drunk and then they all took their turn to die. We did a little more research and learned that they if born in nature they can't be brought into captivity and that their skin (if you felt it) is very porous and absorbs all the germs, soaps etc. from our hands and will kill them also. So, sadly, yes he knows a little something about killing salamanders. We actually noticed that we've got some living in the window well again. He's decided to leave these ones alone as much as it's driving him crazy.
We too have those lizards oops salamanders in our window wells...Matthew corrected me as well, and I wouldn't even LET him get them out to play with! I told him he could see them just fine from the window! Ha!
Post a Comment