3.25.2009

What is it...

...about me and the dentist? In the last year, we've become quite close and he is intimately acquainted with my bank account. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dentist. It's just the fact that I have to see him so frequently. Despite my brushing, flossing, and mouthwashing, my teeth seem to be softening or something. I have to stick up for myself a little and say I don't have any new cavities but I did have to have 3 fillings this morning that I should have got done last year (but our insurance drew the line in the sand) and then I had 4 really old fillings replaced that were cracked. Yes, 7 fillings, all in an hour and a half. I was quite hilarious afterwards with my entire face numb.

I don't know if it's because I am a dentist's daughter but now that I go to someone other than my dad (yes, I had to grow up and find my own dentist when my dad retired a few years back), it totally stresses me out. It's just a little disconcerting as they drill huge holes in your teeth while you sit there and smell the burn and see the smoke float out of your mouth. And then, when they hit that spot where the anesthetic has worn off a little...ahh! Anyway, they gave me a CD player last time but had a lame selection. So this time I brought my own trusty iPod to try and relax me. It actually helped quite a bit so here's a big shout out to my friends who helped calm my nerves...thank you J.T., Taylor, Mary J., John Legend, Rhianna, Rascal Flatts, Daughtry, Puddle of Mudd, Coldplay, Evanessence, and many more.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I too am an anxious patient..and funny you see, my dad is a dentist, I am a hygenist, and my hubby is an endodontist..so I feel for you! Glad it went well..:) I was thinking of you!

Alli said...

I am the exact same way! My dentist has some cool goggles I get to wear and watch anything I want on cable. (I think they're actually used for kids but hey, they work!)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you were glad you brought your own ipod to listen to! Glad you are doing well and get back to feeling like yourself again soon! Hopefully you won't have to go back to the dentist for anything other than cleanings for awhile!

The Haley Family said...

ya...I went to the dentist last week for the 1st time in EIGHT years! Ya I know...no excuses. He have insurance...I just never made the time. The hygenist thought that my teeth were fine from what she could see...but the Dentist had other things to say! EIGHT surface 2 cavities. I have to go in two separate times to get them filled. Lesson learned!