1.07.2009

Tender Mercies

Adoption comes with very scary risks. We've known that all along although we've never really experienced them. Monday morning, we received a conference call from the social workers at LDSFS letting us know that Sarah was not coping well at all. They had spoken to her on the phone and she was adamant about taking Avery back. They wanted to prepare us for what could come. They went and spent a couple of hours chatting with her and then called us back to let us know that she was still feeling the same way and that she was holding off till Tuesday to make her decision but that we needed to prepare for the worst and pray and fast for a miracle. We were devastated although we could totally understand the loss and grief she was going through. They told us we needed to prepare our boys because it wasn't looking good. That was so hard. They both completely broke down and were heartbroken. It was such a hard thing to watch. We called our family members and asked them to please fast with us until Tuesday. Monday was the hardest day we have ever had to go through as a family. We just put everything in the Lord's hands and prayed that things would work out for everyone involved.

She called us Monday night and we invited her to come out and see the baby on Tuesday and have dinner hoping that if she saw Avery with her brothers and saw her cute room and everything we could offer her that it might ease her a little bit. So she came out and brought her kids and it was amazing the change in her. It was a complete 180 from what we had heard from the social workers. I won't go into all the details but she made some serious decisions and life changes in less than 24 hours that put her in a better frame of mind and helped her to think more clearly. We just reassured her how much we love her and that she will be able to see Avery and that this isn't the end. She left here around 8pm saying how sure she was of her decision to place with us. We got a text and phone call this morning at 8:15 letting us know the paperwork has been filed and Sarah's rights have been relinquished!

It may not be obvious to everyone like it is to us right in the middle of this situation but it truly is a miracle that we get to keep Avery in our family. The way things turned around in a matter of hours shows us that He is guiding us and watching over us. We are so blessed to have the family and friends we do and are so grateful for your support and fasting and prayers on our behalf. (Even my Zack who fasted for 4 hours.) Today is a happy day!

P.S. I think I fixed the pics from the previous post.

19 comments:

Erica said...

The relief is so overwelming!! I am so happy that Avery is a part of your family. What an amazingly hard day Monday was- but I guess your family really knows how much they love that little girl!! Celebrate and get some really good sleep now. She is so dang cute!!!

Jolayne said...

I am so happy for you. I couldn't read through the post fast enough to find out. We look forward to seeing her.

KrisJ said...

Im so happy for you guys. We have been praying and fasting that all would go well and Sarah would be able to make the best dicision for Avery. The Lord knows us and directs us and challenges us. And now that youve made it through this battle and your faith was tested, you all have come out stronger and better people. I am so teary just thinking about what this week has been like for you. Now enjoy that baby!

Shandy said...

I stopped breathing while reading your post and totally have goosebumps as I write this! what an amazing miracle Heaven bestowed upond you!! soooooo happy that you will get to keep little Avery!

The Haley Family said...

Wow, Kris. Prayers are answered and I bet your heart is so full of thanks! What a special experience for your family to go through, and be able to see the blessings! Especially the boys who fasted, that is so cool!

What a sweetheart and Sarah is so special!

tamiz said...

So your worst day is OVER!! Now you've got nothing but better days to look forward to! We couldn't be any more pleased for you. Thanks for sharing your faith building experience with us!

Teresa said...

I am so happy & relieved! We have been keeping your family in our prayers. I can't wait to actually meet your sweet little Avery. Avery was very excited to know someone with the same name. Now relax, rest (as much as possible) & snuggle your baby!

Sharlene Enloe said...

Thanks so much for the email. I was so sad and stressed for you last night. I'm so happy that prayer and fasting brought your miracle!

Sharlene Enloe said...

Thanks so much for the email. I was so sad and stressed for you last night. I'm so happy that prayer and fasting brought your miracle!

RainyPM said...

Your site brings me to tears so often. I love yer guts, Kris.

The Teeples said...

I feel so relieved as well. I was stuggling when I began the post. We had some dear friends out here in Ohio go through a failed adoption just recently and it has be such a struggle and I just couldn't possibly imagine it happening again to such dear friends as you.

I truly believe the Lord's hands are in our lives. I know he was in yours. WE love you guys and I can't wait to go shopping for this little girl.

Love ya,
Heather ;)

Haley L said...

After seeing her in person today and learning this whole story, I sit here at my computer with tears rolling down my face. I am in awe of your family, of Sarah, and of the miracle of adoption.

Lynette said...

WOW!!! I am soo happy and also very teary after reading your post! Beind adopted myself...I have a very tender spot in my heart for birth moms and all they go through! I know for a fact that your family has indeed been sooo very blessed with a little miracle...and twice at that! She must be a very choice lil spirit and very meant to be with your sweet family!!!

Love you guys!!! And I am soo happy and relieved too!!!

Ang said...

Oh Kris! I haven't looked at the blog since just after she was born and didn't know what was going on but for some reason I knew. All day yesteday I had the weirdest feeling about you guys. I'm so so so happy that it worked out.

shelly said...

What an emotional and trying time for your family. It's so wonderful to see the hand of the Lord in bringing this beautiful little girl to her family. I am so happy and relieved for you!

Heather Leigh said...

When I started reading your post, my heart just about stopped. What a difficult time and such a heart wrenching thing to go through. I'm so glad that things worked out and you get to have Avery in your sweet family. What a lucky little girl!

The Toy Guru said...

WoW!!! You did exactly what you needed to do. The spirit in your home is what Sarah needed to feel in order to finalize her decision. Not to mention seeing Avery with her new brothers. I am sooo happy for you guys and can't wait to hear your testimony next month!!!

Kimberly Davis said...

What a blessing and relief! I am SO SO SO happy for you!

Tirsa said...

I am so happy to see how things have worked out. You have been so blessed. I know that Sarah will be blessed for her sacrifice and selfless gift, too.