6.15.2010

St. Louis Day 1 & 2

Ok, so on to my summer vacay documenting. This is the best way I can keep track for journaling purposes and so I won't forget all the...fun, yea that's it...fun that we will have all week. :)

I set off with 3 kids and no husband Monday morning at about 7am with only 13 hours to go. Snacks, movies, DS's, and GPS were all ready to go. Let me just say that I love GyPSy (our name for the GPS). She's so smart but also not perfect. We did just fine till Topeka when out of the blue "Last Free Exit" appears. Hmm...well I have no cash and have no idea how long this turnpike is I'm about to get on so I get off. Long story short...an unhelpful GyPSy, an uninformed convenience store worker, tons of construction on every available on ramp I'm sure, and much puking from Avery, we finally made it to Kansas City about an hour and a half later (it's only like 25 miles). So after that little setback, we made it to St. Louis just fine. The kids were mostly a dream (other than the puking).

They were so happy to arrive at the mission home in St. Louis (after 14 hours) and see grandma and grandpa and sleep in the cool room with 14 bunk beds and hang with their cousins. Grandpa even took them for a late night walk to find fireflies.

Well, Kay and Cheryl actually had some time to spend with us today so we decided to go to this cool farm that is huge and has tons of things for the kids to see and do. On the way, this nasty storm blew in and it rained and rained and rained...like nothing I've seen in a LONG time. So we bagged the farm and went to the Science Museum which was awesome and enormous and FREE. The kids had a great time.

You enter the museum on one side of the freeway and then walk through this big enclosed bridge over to the other side of the freeway. Bryce and Will were looking down through one of the windows where you can watch the cars zoom underneath.


Zack and Anna building the arch with grandma. I think they had more fun knocking it down though.


Avery lasted in the stroller for all of 2 seconds. She had to be down and running with all the other kids. For some reason, she was digging this dinosaur footprint. Just wouldn't leave it alone. And I don't know if you can tell but the humidity is totally making her 'fro POOF bigtime. So cute. :)

Afterwards Grandpa treated us to some Ted Drewes frozen custard, a staple of St. Louis apparently. A total hole in the wall kind of place but very tasty!

Tomorrow if the weather stays decent, we're going to do the St. Louis Zoo (also free) and hopefully fit in some swimming.

post signature

0 comments: