3.21.2010

Peru - Day 3

This morning we took the hour flight WAY up in the Andes to the city of Cusco. It is lush and nestled into the mountain tops. On the bus ride from the airport we were reminded that today could be an icky day for us due to the altitude. They warned us of light headedness, headaches, and possibly nausea. REALLY encouraged us to relax and not exert ourselves, sleep, take time to acclimate. Since I'm traveling with a group of doctors, they also let us know they had perscription meds for altitude sickness if we needed it. After that speech I was a little nervous but Mel assured me that it wouldn't be that bad especially for me since I normally live at a pretty high altitude.

When we got to the hotel they also had us drink some coca tea (from the same leaf as cocaine...yep cocaine but less than a 1% concentration) and that would help open up our breathing passages and ease the headaches. It was GROSS. Literally, put some hay in some water, boil it, then drink it. That's what it tasted like, but I did it. I actually have fared pretty well today...a little lightheaded within the first 30 minutes but the nasty tea helped. Felt a headache coming, but took some ibu and I've been fine. Heart has been racing all day though. We walked up to the main plaza for food and to see the cool cathedrals and we were dying! Since I'm with medical professionals, they of course have a pulse-ox meter to stick on your finger and my oxygen level was at 85% and resting heart rate at about 100 bpm so you can tell it affects you.

Anyway, on to the fun stuff. We walked up the main drag up to the main square and it was BEAUTIFUL. Awesome grass and flowers and surrounded by beautiful cathedrals and lush mountainsides. For lunch I had a Peruvian staple, Ahi de Gallina which is basically shredded chicken, rice, and this VERY yellow sauce over the top which looks like mustard but doesn't taste like it. It was YUM.

One of the huge churches surrounding the plaza. We toured it a little after lunch. Very ornate, still quite CREEPY but it had cool stone steep staircases up the side where you can look out those two windows right in the middle. On the way down I sat on my bum and scooted cause it was a little freaky.

The front of the huge cathedral.


This is looking out those middle windows once we climbed the scary stone steps.

This cute little Peruvian girl is dressed in the old traditional clothing of Peru. They roam around the plaza and you take pictures with them and then give them a tip. Isn't she so cute?

The group we kind of hung with today. We all get along pretty well so I think it will be fun.

Don't you think this is the best name for a soda...EVER?

We have a meeting tonite around 8pm to discuss the humanitarian plans for the week. About 12 of us are going out tomorrow while the rest stay here and put on the medical conference. I'm not sure if Mel presents tomorrow or Tuesday but she will for sure translate tomorrow for the doctors, nurses, nutritionists, and public health people who need it. For the humanitarian stuff they have talked about building corrals/stables, fixing roofs, and painting. We'll see tomorrow...

post signature

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

alison said...

you and your creepy churches! I'm really enjoying this little travelogue. :)

Unknown said...

It's fun to see what you have been up to and all the neat things you are doing and seeing! I do love the name of that soda! So inspired! :)

Angela M. said...

Living vicariously through you! What an amazing experience!