3.05.2012

Countdown

About 20 years ago I embarked on my first international venture.  My parents were brave enough to send their little 18 year old girl off on a plane across the world with a group of strangers.  I went on a tour of Europe with the American Orchestra and some other musical groups to 7 different countries.  We were gone 3 weeks and toured and performed in Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and the Netherlands.

This picture was taken near the tippy top of the Swiss Alps.


One of the most amazing sights ever!  The Milan Cathedral.  (This was taken shortly after being chased by security guards at the Milan Museum when my flash accidentally went off when taking a picture of The Last Supper which was under renovation.  I totally lost them though...one of my claims to fame!)


Ever since then, I've had the bug!  I've kept a pretty active passport and my kiddos have reaped the benefits as well.  I'm a lucky lucky girl that I've been able to go to some amazing places.

In just 5 days, I'll be on an airplane with my sister and two of my best friends to Peru!  I had such a great time the last time I went.  I tried to get Robb to go with me this time but the timing just isn't right for both of us with small kids but he was totally supportive of me going again.  We are lucky that his work is flexible and that despite our crazy lives and time-demanding church callings, we can actually swing it.  We (me, Shannon,  Erica, and sometimes Mel via phone) had a "planning" meeting the other night at Hacienda Colorado...yanno...to brush up on our Spanish...ha ha.  I think my traveling companions are a little nervous but I know it will prove to be an amazing experience!  I'm looking forward to working in the villages, getting dirty, being exhausted, handing out donations to all the adorable kids, and seeing some amazing sites and one of the wonders of the world.  I've had so much support and donations from friends and businesses this time, it's going to make the experience even more sweet.  Thanks to everyone in advance who helped out.

Here's a couple of my favorite pics from two years ago.  This was the view from up in the village we worked in for 3 days.  The green hills with terraced farms, the mud homes with the snow capped mountains in the back...amazing.


This was along the trail at Pisac.  At the end is the ancient temple which is awesome.  I know my mom probably looks at this and freaks out.  Mom, I swear it's not as dangerous as it looks!  I hope we get to go to Pisac again.  It was one of my favorite places.


post signature

3 comments:

Erica said...

I can hardly wait to make some life lasting memories with some of the best people ever! Two more days!!!

Stacie said...

Have a great trip! I love that you are making time in your busy life to help out others. I'm sure it will be a blessing to you and your family! BTW--I love the 1992 hairdo's! That's how cute we were when we showed up at Heritage Halls.

The Haley Family said...

amazing, so excited for you! Wish I was tagging along too!