3.14.2012

Peru - Day 5

Today was our last day in the villages.  We went to Casacunca which is the village I went to 2 years ago.  It was fun to go back to a place that was a little bit familiar and see the projects we had worked on before and how they held up.  The corral we built looked awesome and the greenhouse we repaired was completely destroyed.  The teacher recognized me though and we talked a lot.

When we first get to the village we kind of do a walk through and do a needs assessment.  During our walk I came upon this burro who was definitely fond of me.  After he honked at us for a minute or so, I had to blow him a little kiss.


Shannon spent sometime working on the solar oven.  This was one of the only projects we did today other than handing out donations and hygiene/sewing kits.


These two were just adorable.  This is a grandpa and his granddaughter.  He hung out in the school while she was there and then we watched them walk home.  He had a bad right leg, couldn't even put the heel of his foot down.  He had a major limp and had to walk so slow.  We watched them walk up the hill, WAY up the hill and his little granddaughter was so patient and held his hand and walked slow with him the whole time.  So precious.


She was so cute, I just had to add another.  We gave her the flower hair clip and of course the candy necklace.


A screen printing store in Longmont donated about 12 pair of cleats, t-shirts, Under Armor warm up jackets, and shin guards.  We delivered them all to this village and they were so cute and humble as we handed them out.  I mean, look at this kid. :)


Before we left, we walked around the entire village looking for mothers who needed hygiene kits (shampoo, body wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand towel, etc.) and sewing kits (knitting needles, thread, etc.).  The little kids kept asking us for the cute bags but we just kept telling them to take us to their homes so we could give them to the moms.  It's hard to find them at home sometimes because they almost all work the fields during the day so we'd hand them to the women in the street.  This is Ryan giving this sweet lady a hygiene kit.



This little girl kept begging for my hygiene kit and I just couldn't say no.  I gave it to her and told her to run home so the other kids didn't see!


One of my favorite scenery pics so far.  Looks like a painting!  I love the roses in the foreground.


Gave this little girl one of my hats and she started bawling!  Then all the Americans tried to make it better and she just kept screaming!!


We walked back to the plaza at the end of the day and Erica saw this little boy sitting on the steps of the church trying to put his shoes on so she went and helped him. He had no socks, just super dirty feet.  He ran off so happy.


I totally caught Patty snuggling with this little girl right before we left.  So precious.


Here is a picture of our whole group.  We had an amazing time in the villages.  Some days were more structured and harder work than others and sometimes we just visited and handed out donations and made people smile but I think that was enough.  The kids were amazing and beautiful.  It's sometimes hard to see the conditions they live in.  I was a little emotional today handing out hygiene kits and I wasn't the only one.  So grateful for what I have but also and glad I have the opportunity to spread a little happiness.


Tomorrow we head off to the Sacred Valley to tour and see some ruins.  I need to get to bed.  Not planning on taking my computer to the hostel tomorrow so more blogging on Friday.
post signature

3 comments:

melinda bassett said...

Wow, the work you're doing there is amazing. I have dreams of doing the same thing. Way to go!!!

Unknown said...

What an emotional journey! I am really loving all the updates and amazing pictures! Those kids are just way too cute!

PS I love the one of you blowing the kiss! So funny!

Lori Davis said...

Amazing! The little girl with the grandpa is my favorite!! The scenery, the kids, I love it all! What an experience!