My stupid knee has been hurting since about February. I didn't do anything specific to injure it, it just started hurting especially when I ran or climbed stairs. (Yes, all that ruin climbing in Peru killed me!) So I kind of laid low for a while to see if it would improve (and chubbed right up in the process...double grumble!). I tried running the Bolder Boulder the end of May and could only run about 1/3 of it and had to walk the rest.
So I FINALLY went to the Dr. today to have it checked out. Basically, my diagnosis is Runner's Knee or Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. That's basically a fancy bunch of words for something that happens to lots of people who run. Doesn't that sound exciting? And I thought running was going to do me some good! So as far as I understand it my patella (kneecap) is kind of off track and not going exactly where it's supposed to go. I start physical therapy next week where we will work on strengthening my quads and hips which will help the patella stay where it needs to be. Oh joy. Can you tell I'm thrilled? The good news is physical therapy almost always works and surgery can be avoided. Yay!
So no running for me. I'll have to find some alternate, non-pounding (I laughed when the doctor said that today), forms of exercise.

4 comments:
I'm glad you were able to go see the doctor to have your knee looked at. :)
BOOOO!!! Glad you found a solution and that you can work on fixing it!
That's such a bummer! Make sure you get as much massage out of it as you can though! :)
Yoga is a lot harder than it looks... great workout. I suck at it, but getting better every time! Good luck!
Post a Comment