I went to a fireside on Saturday night here at the Boulder Stake Center. Sherri Dew was the guest speaker. She spoke just to the sisters and was so insightful and inspiring. It's almost impossible to leave one of her speaking engagements unhappy and without a sincere desire to change. She said two different things that I think will stay with me forever:
1. She spoke about turning away from the world and towards Christ. She had overheard some sisters in Deseret Book discussing a social issue that many are dealing with today. She asked the sisters if they happened to hear Kathleen Hughes remarks on this topic the week before at the RS General Meeting and they answered no, they hadn't had time to go. They then continued to tell Sister Dew what Oprah's thoughts were the day before on this issue. Sister Dew then advised us, "Never take advice from someone whose sole purpose is to build up their own kingdom." Now if you know me, you probably know my feelings about Oprah (grumble...grumble) and I think Sister Dew hit it right on. Who are we relying on to get through the tough challenges of our day? Is it someone the world thinks is all knowing or the One we know is...
2. The second thing was about being a seeker. She said to be a true follower of Christ, you need to seek the truth especially through the scriptures. She then said, "Most of us know enough of the gospel to feel guilt but not enough to feel joy." I think a lot of us fall into that category. So do you study just enough to mark it off your eternal "to do" list? We need to dig in more and get the gritty goodness out of it.
Anyway...a couple of things to chew on...
3 comments:
I love Sherri Dew. So much that I ended up with 3 of the same book for my birthday last year. Love your comments about Oprah, too! She does do a lot of good in the world, but we need to make sure it is the right source.
We just challenged our family to read the Book of Mormon by my birthday. (Dec 31) A family in our ward did while school was out. They needed to read 8 pages a day. We can do it with 5 pages a day. We'll have a big party when we're done!
Love ya,
Jenn
Kris,
Thanks for sharing those comments. They really hit home with me. I like Oprah but due to having a kid now I don't see her anymore. Sherri Dew's comment was excellent though. It puts things in the right perspective.
Thanks for giving me a spiritual boost today!!
Heather
Hey Kris. I loved Sherri Dew's comments on Saturday too. Made me think alot. I liked how she spoke about God's standard for what a woman looks like and dresses like and that we will never see those examples in the media.
Post a Comment