As we started the paperwork for Avery's adoption, the boys became very interested in meeting their birthmoms. At the time we didn't have contact with either of them but we told Zack and Bryce we would try to contact them. We actually had success with both! They have both had limited contact with them in the last little while and it's been great.
A couple of months back, Zack's birth grandma contacted us and said they would be vacationing in Winter Park in June and if he'd like, they'd love to meet Zack. So we asked Zack and he was totally excited to meet them! Lacey, his birthmom, and her husband planned to come too. So we have been planning this past weekend for a few months. Zack has seen pictures and heard stories from us and has emailed her a little bit but he was very excited to meet Lacey and her family in person.
We were a little nervous just because we didn't know if it would be awkward and we didn't know how Zack would feel through the whole thing. We also worried about Lacey and if it would be hard on her but we just prayed a lot and kept feeling good about our plans.
Here are some pictures of Zack and Lacey just after his birth in September 2001:


Here is a picture of them from Sunday evening:
When we pulled in to McDonald's, where we were meeting them for ice cream for the first time, he was pretty nervous! He held my hand and kind of stood behind me. We walked in and Lacey gave me a huge hug and then Zack gave her a big hug and then it was like we just had known each other all along! Lacey's husband Todd and Lacey's parents were also there. We sat and chatted and ate ice cream for about a half hour. Lacey's parents brought all the kids souvenirs from Texas (where they are from). Afterward, we played at the park and went back to their hotel and chatted some more. Zack also got some chess lessons from Todd and Kendall (Lacey's stepdad).

Avery warmed right up to Lacey.
The next day, we all met at a bike rental place and took the most gorgeous bike ride together. It was a perfect day...blue sky, 80's, no wind, gorgeous snow capped mountains, and believe it or not, no complaining kids for the whole 6 mile ride!
Yea, she was a little excited!
This is my next bike for sure! Hybrid cruisers ROCK! It hardly hurt my bum at all and I even survived in my awesome footwear. (Needless to say, I didn't plan on biking...LOL).
Lacey and Zack on the trail.



I mean can you get more gorgeous than that?

After the bike ride we spent the rest of the afternoon swimming at the rec center. The kids had a blast and all the adults were EXHAUSTED. It was fun though. Before saying goodbye we went back to their hotel again. Zack taught them his favorite game, Alhambra. Avery fell over asleep about 5 minutes later...
Zack played a little more chess and Robb and I had about 45 minutes to just sit and talk with Lacey. We learned quite a bit more about the birthfather, her thoughts and feelings after she had Zack, the peace she feels, and some other personal things. It was AMAZING. She is such a strong woman and we are so grateful for her. She gave us some more pictures from right after he was born and a scrapbook she had made for him. Zack and Lacey exchanged their favorite recipes (Lacey is a
professional chef) and Zack gave her some cookies he had made. It was just a perfect couple of days!
This was just before we said goodbye. Not sure what's up with Zack's face.

As we left and headed up Berthoud Pass, Zack was a little teary eyed. We asked him if he was OK and he said he was scared they were going to forget his face. It was so cute! I think the fact that he got to meet her and FEEL how much she loves him will do wonders for him and some of the things he struggles with. We are so grateful for Lacey and her husband and parents and for all they did to make this weekend so memorable for all of us!
12 comments:
I have tears in my eyes- what an AMAZING woman Lacey is. What a very neat experience for Zack. I am so happy that your family was able to experience this together.
That made me cry! What a great experience for everyone involved. I think about Malias birthmom all the time and always hope that one day we will get to experience that same meeting.
What an amazingly strong woman. I cannot even imagine what that was like for all of you, and for all of them! Thank you Kris for sharing that! :D
What an amazing experience. Lacey is incredible and so are you and Robb. I look up to the strength that you have. Love you all.
Thanks for sharing this. After hearing about the plans a few weeks ago, I have been thinking and wondering how it would all go. Total goosebumps! Lacey is clearly a great woman, but so, too, are you. I'm in awe.
Sounds like a perfect weekend! I'm so glad you all got to experience that together. Also, I must hear more about this hybrid bike.
WOW! I am remembering back to when you first got Zack... all four of you (Zack, Robb, you, and Lacey). Zack is so lucky to have so much love in his life. Love you!
This has me in tears... it gives me hope.... Lacey is amazing. Love you, Kris... thanks for sharing the story.
WOW!
What a great experience! I am so glad that Zack got to meet her and feel her love for him. I love birthparents! We are actually gearing up to spend some time with B and E's birthparents this month. Can't wait!
Zack is pretty lucky to have two awesome people as his parents, you!
Hope he realizes that. Love ya!!
That totally made me cry! How amazing that experience was for you and your family and for Zack. Thank you for sharing that experience!! I still have goosebumps!
Post a Comment